Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Genesis -- The Battle of Epping Forest

I got my Tiger DVD yesterday and upgraded my iBook to 10.4. The only negative thing I noticed is that right-clicking in Finder results in the beachball and a minute of Finder non-responsiveness. Doing the same thing by going to the regular menu works instantly. Which is odd. I wonder why Macintoshes have support for right clicking and scrolling and the like but sell expensive mouses that don't even have right-click? It's like starting people off with a needless disability.

But the Dashboard thing is cool. Spotlight works great to find stuff, though on this new laptop there's not much to find. And Automator is Cool. One thing I've learned with iTunes is how important it is to backup my iTunes library files, and I was able to quickly figure out how to use Automator to do a script that saves the iTunes library files to my USB thumbdrive when I click on an icon. Next I'll figure out how to have the same thing done automatically on a schedule for all my crucial documents...

I also started doing useful work on my brother's website last night, updating show dates by using Fetch. I had been using FrontPage and it LOOKED like FrontPage allowed me to edit text files right on the server. Perhaps it did not but made it seem like it did? Anyway, I have to download the file from the server, then make the changes, then put the doc back on the server, but then it overwrites just fine. Next I have to try to modify html pages. Obviously it should be the same process, but doing it via FTP makes you think more than using FrontPage. Of course, using FrontPage to do additions of photo pages and changing text in textfiles was a big waste of money. I originally wanted to learn FrontPage and how to do all the cool html/asp/blah blah stuff, but it's too hard to figure that out and do my real work and parent.... I think I may end up, after a little adjustment, getting the website handled easiler with the iBook...

No comments: